Re: one sample question

From: Neil McKee <neil.mckee@inmon.com>
Date: 10/29/09

When you send a sampled header, you can annotate it with additional
XDR-encoded structures. That's where you get to say more about the
sampled packet. If you are looking at the spec files http://
www.sflow.org/SFLOW-DATAGRAM5.txt and http://www.sflow.org/SFLOW-
STRUCTS5.txt, then a typical flow_sample looks a bit like this:

struct flow_sample {
      struct sampled_header
      struct extended_switch
}

or if the packet was routed, you might see this:

struct flow_sample {
      struct sampled_header
      struct extended_switch
      struct extended_router
}

or if it was forwarded by an access-layer switch that keeps track of
user-authentication:

struct flow_sample {
      struct sampled_header
      struct extended_switch
      struct extended_user
}

So the device can export a struct sampled_header, and then choose to
add whatever "struct extended_*" structs make sense. Because the
device is only doing this with randomly sampled packets, there is
enough time to dig around and add some really high-value measurements
in there. That's why you'll see the whole AS-Path from some devices
running BGP, or MPLS label-stacks and tunnel names from others.

Regards,
Neil