Re: ifindex numbers

From: Neil McKee <neil.mckee@inmon.com>
Date: 09/05/08

Rune,

The Force10 approach is unusual. The relevant RFC recommends that
ifIndex numbers be kept "relatively small", but clearly Force10 saw
an opportunity to make some things easier by using all 32 bits.

The ifIndex is normally just an index into the SNMP MIB-II ifTable,
and so you can get most of the context information you are looking
for there.

regards,
Neil