Newbie: sflow vs netflow

From: <jo@atsresults.com>
Date: 01/12/05

Hello Everyone,

Please bare with me as I am looking to write my own Sflow collector am I just
trying to get my head straight about what SFlow actually does.

What does an sflow agent actually export in a sflow datagram for a flow sample?

From what I have read, it would seem that it samples packets running through
the
switch/router and exports the headers. Is this right?

Does it export statistics on "packet flows" like netflow does or does just
export a subset of the packets that have been seen by the sflow agent?

Also, is there a more 'user friendly', version of the datagram format?

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Jason