Configuration Parameters

From: Wanja Jansson (wanja@iamit.com)
Date: 11/21/02

    Hi again,

    Thank for the help the other time. Now I have a new problem:

    I am doing a comparison with the sFLowSP and a nProbe, by sending
    a big file (a movie on about 800MB) from one computer to mine. But
    I get some very strange results. I think it has to do with the different
    parameters in the configuration files. I am reading in the RFC 3176
    but can still don't figure out what the parameters do.

    CONFIGURATION FILE:
    My configuration file looks like this: Should I change something?
    What does debug=0 means? And where should I find the .txt files?
    Do I need them?

    ErrorLog = inxPKP.err
    TraceLog = inxPKP.log
    Command = inxPKP.cmd
    #include "./inxGlobal.ini"

    MIBInterval = 10

    ; ================= settings ================

    PKPDevice = eth0
    PKPDriverSampling = NO
    PKPDeviceEnabled = YES
    PKPsFlowEnabled = YES
    PKPAgent = 10.1.1.15
    PKPCommunity = public
    PKPSamplingRate = 1000
    PKPCollectorHost = 10.1.2.53
    PKPMirrorDirection = both
    PKPPollInterval = 45
    PKPPromiscuous = YES
    PKPMPRefreshTimeout = 3600
    PKPMPRequestTimeout = 2
    PKPMPSuppressRetryTimeout = 3600
    PKPMPTableSize = 49999
    PKPMPBridgeTable = bridgeTable.txt
    PKPMIBIIRouteTable = routingTable.txt
    PKPASInterfaceTable = ifTable.txt
    PKPASPortMapping = YES
    PKPASSymmetric = YES
    PKPVLANTable = vlanTable.txt

    ; now include a config file for optionally overriding these settings
    ; and others below (from global.ini and inxGlobal.ini)

    #includeWithNoComments "/var/sFlowSP/config/pkp.ini"

    PidFile = ../pids/inxPKP.pid
    debug = 0

    Further below in the example logfile I havn't change anything.

    LOG FILE:
    What is a "good" Pollinterval? When I try e.g 60, the log file says:
    20021120132335: pollCounters: WARNING: poll interval is > activeInterval
    What is activeinterval?

    Other lines in the log file use to look like this:
    20021120003546: pollCounters: in_multicasts delta32=4294967295 TOO BIG -
    not accumulating (old=91764, new=91763)
    20021120003738: portLookup: concurrent SNMP requests at maximum, not
    sending another
    20021120084911: pollCounters: 10.1.1.15:4 out_bytes changed from 0 to
    3310411095 - not accumulating

    What does these different lines means? Is something wrong?

    SAMPLINGRATE:
    For example, the "PKPSamplingRate": when I set PKPSamplingRate = 0,
    the sampling should be disabled and with PKPSamplingRate =1 all packet
    should be sampled. Am I right? And in that case, what is the output I get
    with PKPSamplingRate = 0 and 1?

    Below are the result of one of my test of sending a movie on 814912924
    bytes.
    With samplingrate 0 and 1 the results are completely incorrect, Why?

    With samplingrate 10, 100, 1000 and 10000 I get more or less the correct
    number
    of bytes IF I multilpy the total sum of bytes with the samplingrate.
    Is it really supposed to be like that?

    Is there anywhere some documents except from the RFC 3176 explaining these
    things?

    sFlow Sampling Rate = 0
                    Pkts Bytes
                    10 1814